WHO WE ARE
Fundación Rose is a non-profit organization that provides and supports educational opportunities for motivated individuals regardless of their socio-economic, ethnic or religious conditions in the country of Guatemala. We strengthen individuals and families through the use of effective educational programs that transfer valuable knowledge and skills to our students thus enabling them to enjoy a more plentiful life. We strive to demonstrate that high quality education does not have to come at a high cost. Our schools also work as laboratories where we learn and implement new initiatives and teaching techniques, and then model and share our wealth with other institution and individuals with similar goals.
Fundación Rose started in 1997. In January of 1998 we started operating our first school in the city of Chimaltenango. A second and third school projects were started in the following years in the towns of Patzicía and Momostenango respectively. Fundación Rose in Guatemala has a U.S. counterpart also called Fundación Rose. This latter organization, having a 501-C3 tax exempt status, exists mainly for the purpose of raising funds.
COLEGIO DEL FUTURO
The Problem we are Addressing
- One third of all Guatemalans are illiterate
- 15% of school-age children do not attend school
- 40% of school-age girls do not attend school
- The average person in the urban areas goes to school for a total of 6 years
- In rural areas this average goes to 2 years
- The numbers are more dramatic if we separate Mayans and non-Mayans
- The average teacher is basically a high school graduate
- 68% of class time: copy-memorize-regurgitate
- 32% of class time: inappropriate class management practices
- As an average children attend school only 105 days in a year
- Tough decision for parents: Damage or good?
- This educational famine has dramatic repercussions in all areas of 16 million lives!
We Are Bridging the Gap!
- Semi-private school centers with excellent facilities and adequate resources to allow a high quality education
- Professional, capable and committed teachers and mentors. These individuals are carefully selected for their capacity and dedication.
- Scholarship opportunities for those who demonstrate need and merit.
- In addition to the required coursework which prepares our students for college they also graduate with high-level skills in English, Computers/technology, and Character Education.
- Special Features: Project-Based Learning, Balanced Literacy, Math-For-Life, Music, Sports, Advanced Curriculum, Zunun Platform, Volunteer Program.
SPONSOR A CHILD
The great majority of the children attending our schools require financial aid. All parents are asked to participate financially in covering the costs associated with the education of their children. However these contributions (either in-kind or monetary) are often symbolic. The role of sponsors is vital in providing our high-quality education to children who otherwise would miss out on this opportunity.The majority of the children attending our schools require financial aid. All parents are asked to participate financially in covering the costs associated with the education of their children. However these contributions (either in-kind or monetary) are often symbolic. The role of sponsors is vital in providing our high-quality education to children who otherwise would miss out on this opportunity.
A full sponsorship costs $100/month ($1,200/year) and it includes a daily nutritious lunch. A half sponsorship cost $50/month ($600/year) and does not include lunch. Other contributions are appreciated and will go to our General Scholarship Fund.
DONATE TO THE GENREAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND
Fundación Rose provides financial aid to many of its students. This is possible thanks to the generosity of local and foreign donors who contribute to the General Scholarship Fund. The criteria for granting this type of financial aid is very simple: The candidate must demonstrate need and merit. Each school has a Scholarship Committee that reviews all requests on a yearly basis and grants scholarships on a case-by-case basis…
Our Volunteer Teacher Program has been very successful over the years. You can serve anywhere from one week to a full year. Most volunteer teachers contribute as part of our Dual Immersion Program whereby English is modeled to the students in the process of presenting useful content. To participate please complete the form below and we will contact you promptly.